Wide selection of eBooks checks in to Bearden library

Hailey Kraft

Bearden students can now select from an extensive list of eBooks through the school’s library.

It is 2 a.m. on a Monday morning, and junior Kelli Cool is in a frantic state, trying to finish her English homework. As she goes to read the final chapter of her assigned reading, she realizes she has left her book at school.

In the past, Cool’s situation might have been a lost cause, but now, she can simply hop onto her computer, log on to her school library account, and check out her assigned reading as an eBook.

“Now that I can check out eBooks, I no longer have to make a trip to the library, which is great for a lazy person like me,” Cool said. “This is going to definitely help me get last minute homework done through my favorite medium, the eBook.”

Following society’s recent shift from print to digital media, Bearden’s library has recently added 140 titles to their collection of eBooks, which can be checked out through the school website, in the Library Media Center.

The available titles include numerous works of fiction and nonfiction, which can be downloaded straight to an eBook reading device such as a Kindle, or read as a PDF file on the computer.

Three books can be checked out at a time for a period of two weeks.  When it is time to return the books, the program will automatically turn them in, no late fee required.

“I usually do not check out library books because I am so forgetful and will end up turning them in like three years late, so I like that I won’t have to worry about that now,” sophomore Esther Sitver said.

Added librarian Ms. Amy Ballard: “I am really excited because now we have a lot of books students will really want to read, and they can now read them in a really easy way.”

Books found on school required reading lists can also be found amongst the new eBooks.

“Now at 2 a.m., I can read, check out Divergent on a whim, or get an early start on Life of Pi for my AP Language summer reading,” Cool said. “This is going to be so helpful for a procrastinator like me.”