Prom committee plans 1920s-themed prom at Maryville’s Clayton Center

Hailey Kraft

Sophomore Michaela Leib designed Bearden’s prom poster.

Based on a time when the clothing was vibrant and the parties were frequent, Bearden’s prom will channel the roaring twenties in this year’s theme, Roaring Rouge.

“Prom committee really wanted to do The Great Gatsby as the theme but due to the recent movie, we figured a lot of schools would do that, so we are just going with a basic 1920s theme,” prom committee member Alyssa Griffin said.

Going along with the rouge theme, the entire venue, including the lighting, will be decorated in red with gold accents, including features such as feather bouquet centerpieces.

Unlike last year’s prom, the overhead lights will be turned off, providing a more intimate atmosphere. Also, the party favor will be changed from the tumbler cup of last year to a new surprise for the new crop of attendees this year; the music selections will be altered as well.

“Instead of playing the ‘Cupid Shuffle’ for the millionth time, we will be playing more of the stuff you hear on the radio,” Griffin said.

This will be the second year in a row that prom will be held at the Clayton Center of the Arts in Maryville.

“The Clayton Center is really nice, and it isn’t such a blank canvas like the old venue,” prom committee member Anastasia Mitchell said. “There is room for less decoration and cost because it already looks nice and elegant.”

Sophomore Michaela Leib designed the prom poster.

“I think the poster is a beautiful representation of what someone can expect at prom and it truly captures the theme,” Griffin said.

In an attempt to solve the problem of the Clayton Center’s limited capacity, this year, only eligible students can purchase tickets. A student must have 10 or fewer unexcused absences and no out-of-school suspensions to be eligible. Seniors must also be on track to graduate.

“I do not think it’s fair that a student that has missed 31 days of school is usually the first in line to buy prom tickets and then takes away a ticket from a … student who has been here everyday,” prom committee sponsor Anna Graham said.

Tickets for seniors go on sale March 24 through March 28 and tickets for juniors go on sale March 31 through April 4.

Prom will be held at the Clayton Center of the Arts on May 10 from 8 p.m. to midnight.