Bearden forms first Tennessee branch of social studies honor society

A new honor society enters the halls of Bearden with its induction ceremony at 6:30 p.m. on April 14.

Rho Kappa is a social studies honors society that is new to Bearden this year, attracting a total of 71 rising juniors and seniors.

Requirements of joining include two social studies classes passed with a B and an overall 3.0 GPA.

The club is designed to encourage an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for social studies in order to recognize and appreciate history and important figures and actions that affect and alter society.

Bearden is Tennessee’s first branch of Rho Kappa, and it was started by social studies teacher Dr. Gloria McElroy after attending National Council for Social Studies conferences.

“I was very interested in the fact that social studies students a lot of times don’t get the kind of recognition that math students get, science students get, even English students get,” Dr. McElroy said. “I thought that what [Bearden] needed was an opportunity to recognize the kind of work that social studies students do.”

The process of starting the club, which held its first meeting on Tuesday, means organizing regular meeting times and club requirements.

“Since the club is new, we can decide on unique service projects that we want to do and unique fundraisers and make our own traditions as a club,” junior Elyse Kyle said.

Considering the fact that Rho Kappa is an honor society, a main focus will be service projects.

“We’ll most likely be doing a lot of projects related to social sciences due to the nature of the club,” social studies teacher Mrs. Tammy McKibben said.

Rho Kappa will tackle the Hall of Memories as a project in order to honor its goals and to honor Bearden students of the past, present, and future.

“It’s not something that’s going to happen overnight,” Mrs. McKibben said. “It’s going to be an ongoing project that the students are going to have to work to maintain.”