SGA students participate in TASC summer camp

Current Bearden students and a few alums get together for a group shot during TASCs summer camp.

Archive photo

Current Bearden students and a few alums get together for a group shot during TASC’s summer camp.

Allie Gruszkiewicz, Staff Writer

After successfully hosting TASC convention at Bearden in March, some SGA students continued their participation in TASC with a summer camp at Cumberland University in Lebanon.

Unlike the weekend-long TASC convention held in March, TASC summer camp is a separate five-day camp outside the school year for middle and high schoolers.

The camp focuses on many of the same ideas such as leadership, teamwork, and communication. In fact, TASC convention focused on preparing and exciting students to go to TASC summer camp.

“You get to learn a lot about your leadership style and build on your strengths,” junior Madison Daniels said.

At the camp, students split into groups, or councils, with students from other regions across all of Tennessee. They made songs, chants, dances, and flags while making friends with other SGA members.

“We got really close with everyone there,” junior Claire Napier said.

Activities included a food olympics in which they played messy, food-based games that corresponded with the theme, “The Sweetness of Leadership.”

Mrs. Rebecca Nutter said that the students played plenty of games that each had a learning purpose related to the improvement of leadership skills.

“By the end of the week, they should come away with a deeper understanding of what it means to be a leader,” Mrs. Nutter said.

Students shared ideas on how to run school functions like homecoming and spirit week when they return to their own schools. By sharing ideas, they hope to improve and innovate SGA-run events back home by incorporating ideas from TASC summer camp.

Mrs. Nutter said that many of the ideas for Second Harvest come from TASC summer camp, including 10-for-10 in which the SGA tries to raise $10,000 in 10 minutes. Bearden students enjoyed making relationships with students from other schools as they discuss ideas.

“You get to make a lot of cool relationships,” Daniels said. “That’s one thing I love about TASC.”