Administration implements ‘scrubs’ policy to help enforce dress code

Emily Price

Mannequins remain in the West Mall to remind students about the most common dress code violations.

Helen Law, Staff Writer

While no dress code rules have changed, Bearden’s administration has enacted a new procedure to try to eliminate dress code issues. Instead of a referral, ISS, or other punishments, dress-code violators will have to wear medical scrubs for the school day.

“We as an administration came up with a few ideas of what we could do this year to keep students in class and also in dress code,” Bearden administrator Mrs. Anna Graham said. “So [administration] decided that this was how we wanted to handle it this year.”

The change comes from an effort by the administrative department to change dress-code violations into less of a hassle. The decision provides a more convenient process for both the administrators and the students.

“Instead of going through all the paperwork disciplinary issues that we would have in the past, this is a much easier system for us,” Mrs. Graham said. “It’s a much easier system for the students because they are staying in class and continuing the regular school day.

“However, they might not be happy about what they’re wearing.”

Regarding dress code, administration is more concerned with keeping students in class, not punishing them.

“That’s why we’re addressing it this way,” Mrs. Graham said. “Go put this on, go back to class, then it’s done.”

The students still have the option of having their parents bring them other clothes from home.

“If their parents can’t make it, then they’re in the scrub outfit until the end of the school day, when they’ll be allowed to change back into their clothes to go home,” Mrs. Graham said. “Then, we get the scrubs and the T-shirt back so that they can be washed.”

Contrary to popular belief, the policy does not enact more clothing restrictions. In fact, Bearden’s guidelines for appropriate apparel is Knox County Schools’ policy. Bearden itself does not have any clothing restrictions unique to the school.

The scrubs themselves are a murky, almost mint green color and baggy.

“I think students are much less likely to dress inappropriately if the consequence is wearing scrubs to class,” math teacher Mr. Seth Nutter said.

The decision to change the policy has been met with some criticism, especially from students.

“The changes are superficial and won’t make a huge effect,” senior Tyrell Thomas said.