Lady Soccer Dogs won’t dwell on Farragut loss with HVA match looming

Tyler Hotz, Staff Writer

In District 4-AAA, soccer teams don’t have long to linger on tough losses.

Farragut edged Bearden 2-1 on Thursday night in yet another classic in the bitter rivalry, but the Lady Bulldogs have to quickly move on from that disappointment because fellow West Knoxville power Hardin Valley comes to Bruce Allender field on Tuesday.

Against Farragut, Bearden created more chances and looked more dangerous in the offensive third, but two goals from Elise Steppe on the break and an excellent night from keeper Miranda Burt were the difference for the Lady Admirals.

BHS sophomore Taylor Frizen scored a first-half equalizer for the Lady Bulldogs on a shot inside the box that was assisted by senior Ashley Seltzer.

Bearden had 21 shots, 14 of which were on goal. In contrast, Farragut only had seven shots, but made their few breakaway opportunities count.

“I think we gave it our all,” Seltzer said. “I don’t think we could have done much more, and it just didn’t fall our way.”

Farragut, Bearden, and Hardin Valley are all still battling for seeding in the district tournament behind Maryville. The Lady Rebels made it through district play unscathed.

Hardin Valley has been red hot lately and now has sole possession of second place in the district. They have notched three consecutive victories and only have one loss all year, which was a 2-0 defeat against Maryville on Sept. 16.

In contrast, momentum can come at a price. While notching a 4-1 win against Powell last week, the Lady Hawks’ goalkeeper suffered an injury. Even with this loss, they went on to shut out Oak Ridge later that week.

Bearden is not slated to play Farragut again this year, but could possibly see them in the looming district tournament or beyond. Bearden has not defeated the Lady Admirals since 2010.

“Hopefully we see them again,” Coach Ryan Radcliffe said. “I think this group can do it, and I thought they proved it.

“I thought they went out there in the second half proving what they had.”