Dawg House Café already booming after first week of business

Cassidy Bailey

Virtual Enterprise seniors Morgan McGavic (left) and Brooke Hobbs (center) sell coffee drinks, tea, and hot chocolate to Bearden students.

Maggie Kimber, Entertainment Editor

Amid the library’s typical morning traffic and clusters of students who gather, a new interest point is drawing an even larger number of students to its lower level.  

Bearden’s Dawg House Café has grown in popularity since it opened more than a week ago and is selling an increased number of hot drinks as more students become aware of its existence.

Virtual Enterprise and the library have partnered in this effort in order to raise money for the library as well generate funds for the Virtual Enterprise students’ annual trip to New York.  Each student will receive money based on the number of hours they work, which will go toward decreasing the cost of their individual trips.

Librarian Mrs. Kristen Heffern said that running the shop gives these students the experience that they need as they prepare for to compete for a national title in business planning.  

“They do inventory and reorder supplies,” Mrs. Heffern said. “They also set their own prices and ensure that they are making a profit.”

The Dawg House Café has been consistently open each morning since it has opened, and VE is starting to open it up some during lunch as well.

In addition to coffee, the shop sells hot chocolate and tea – another element that has been attracting a large pool of students.

“I’m not much of a ‘coffee person’, so the fact that they are selling hot chocolate is huge plus,” junior Cate O’Donnell said. “As we move into the colder months, it will be nice to be able to come and buy a drink to warm up after with a drink that I will actually enjoy, after walking up from the junior lot.”

Senior VE student Mary Lehn, who acts as one of the shop’s managers of operation, said that the increase of students has been hectic, but also beneficial.  

“It helps Virtual Enterprise students because students in the class work in a business setting and cooperate with each other as employees,” Lehn said.

Mrs. Heffern said students should equate their experience at the “Dawg House” to that of their favorite bookstore, from the quality of the coffee to the library’s inviting atmosphere.

“We’re like the new Barnes and Noble, instead of a tough study hall that’s going to yell at kids,” Mrs. Heffern said.

“We’re not like that, and I want to continue to perpetuate that reputation.”