Leadership hopes students will ‘fall’ in love with upcoming event

Allie Gruszkiewicz

SGA plans for the Fall Festival in Mr. Martin’s room.

Allie Gruszkiewicz, News Editor

Bearden’s Leadership is teaming up with SGA to put on a Fall Festival on Thursday, marking the beginning of this year’s Second Harvest season.

Unlike many after school events that Leadership has hosted, the Fall Festival aims to attract the attention of the community. They have sent flyers and announcements to local elementary and middle schools and also plan to advertise on radio channels.

“We thought this would be a different way to raise money and a fun way to give back to the community,” SGA sponsor Mr. Cody Martin said.

The Fall Festival will take place in the senior lot. From 4:30 to 6:30, the focus will be children’s activities. Each Bearden club has the opportunity to host a booth with its choice of games or activities, and individual students have the opportunity to participate in “trunk-or-treat,” where students will hand out candy from their own decorated cars.

From 6:30 to 8:30, while younger guests are welcome to stay, the focus will turn to activities aimed at high schoolers. Concerts will be performed by students, including a number from the upcoming Addams Family production. Also, there will be a bonfire and a s’mores bar.

Additionally, there will be food trucks selling products from coffee to poutine.

“It’s going to be bigger [than other events] and there will be more stuff to do,” said junior Marissa Medina, who is the chair of the Second Harvest Committee for SGA. “It’s not just going to be food booths and an activity; it’s going to be a bunch of activities.”

Wristbands to participate will cost $5 for booths and trunk-or-treat, and $10 for booths, trunk-or-treat, concerts, and s’mores. While not required, guests are encouraged to wear a school appropriate Halloween costume.

After a successful Spirit Night, Leadership is optimistic about the Fall Festival. Their goal is 300 guests, but they hope for many more participants.

“I have high hopes that we’ll have a really good turnout with people from other schools in the Knoxville area,” Mr. Martin said. “Hopefully, we’ll raise more money than we have in the past for Second Harvest.”

Beginning in November, the Second Harvest fundraising season is arriving much later than in previous years. These changes come from within the Second Harvest organization. Bearden will still participate in traditional classroom competitions, but donations have largely shifted from cans to online monetary donations.

Now, Leadership is working on gathering donations from businesses for decorations and prizes. They are still in need of more clubs to run booths and more students to volunteer for trunk-or-treat.

“I’m really excited,” SGA president Madison Daniels said. “This is the first time that Bearden has done a Fall Festival, at least in recent years, so I really hope that it is a successful fundraiser for Second Harvest.”