Staff picks: What we’re thankful for at BHS

The Bark staff are thankful for all the administrators, teachers, and students who help us out on a daily basis.

With Thanksgiving coming up, the staff decided to take a moment and talk about what aspect of BHS they are thankful for. As you read our reflections, maybe it will spark some of your own memories, experiences, or classes that make Bearden special. After all, isn’t being thankful what Thanksgiving is all about?

I’m grateful that at the end of a long week, I can step right outside my first period and get a fresh, warm DECA cookie. What’s better to get you through the day than soft cookies and melty chocolate chips? [Allie Gruszkiewicz]

I am extremely thankful for Ms. Turner and our Marine Ecology class. Since I will be majoring in marine biology, this was a great introduction into the field I will work in. Ms. Turner was an amazing teacher and would walk you through anything you didn’t understand. [Cassidy Bailey]

I am so thankful for all the new improvements that the librarians have made to the library. I spend all my mornings in there hiding out from the craziness that is the West Mall. My friends and I always seem to have the best conversations when we are all there together most likely due to how comfortable the library is. Thank you, librarians, and Happy Thanksgiving. [Madison Tenney]

There are many things to be thankful for at Bearden, but the one that I would have to say I am most thankful for is the coaches. As sports editor, I work with coaches every week, and I have gotten to know many of them well. I had Coach Blevins last year in Americans at War, and that class was one of my favorites I have had in high school. He is an excellent teacher and a great person to talk to for interviews as well as history. This is my first year interviewing Offensive Coordinator Paul Shelton, and I have gotten to know him well with all the feature stories and game stories I have written this year. Golf coach Ron Rupard shares my love for Ohio State, so every time I am wearing Ohio State gear and see him in the hallway, we always acknowledge each other for being some of the only Buckeye fans at Bearden. Every coach I have interviewed has made an impact on my time in The Bark, and I just wanted to thank them for what they have done for The Bark and myself. [Tyler Hotz]

Every year that I’ve been in high school, I’ve had laptops to help me along the way, so it’s hard to really even imagine Bearden without them. They definitely make work easier, especially in newspaper, which is a class done almost entirely on our laptops. It’s uncommon, but laptops are something to be thankful for this time of year. [Wyeth Wilson]

There are so many things to be thankful for at Bearden. I could honestly just draw something out of a hat and list all the reasons why that thing makes me grateful. There is one person in particular, however, that is far better than any of those things. Mr. Vacek is a person that I, and all of The Bark, are extremely thankful for. In fact, without his class freshman year, I would have never learned about the world of journalism or even be writing this staff pick. He is undeniably awesome and has read like every book ever and seen every movie, and his baby is really cute, as well. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, MR.VACEK!!! YOU’RE THE BEST HUMAN!!! [Maggie Kimber]

Bearden has a lot of qualities to be thankful for, but I’d like to take the time to thank a program that has helped shape me into who I am today. Through this program, I have grown as a writer, made unbreakable friendships, and built a family in my time at this school. I am immensely grateful for The Bark, and I’d like to thank this year’s Bark staff for making my last year on staff and at Bearden one of the best. Thanks for letting me lead you and for everything you do on a daily basis. I love you all! [Katie Matthews]