‘Dirty Work at the Crossroads’ debuts tonight in Bearden auditorium

Cassidy Bailey

Final preparations are nearly complete for this weekend’s production.

Kira Suerth, Staff Writer

Throughout the years, many Bearden students have found their calling on the stage, starring as characters in a variety of the school’s theater productions. This year, the advanced acting class hopes to embody the essence of the late 19th century in its first of two plays to debut this semester.

Dirty Work at the Crossroads, a classic melodrama set in the 1890s, debuts tonight at Bearden at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $8.

The plot centers around a love triangle between the three main characters: Nellie, Adam, and Munro. There is also comic relief from the character Mookie.

These social dynamics and conflicts will be also played out Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. The play has been double casted to fill the showings with many talented actors and actresses.

Bearden junior Yaya Jahangir, who is starring as Adam, the love interest of Nellie, said this year’s production will be much different from last year’s more intimate Letters to Sala.

“Last year the seats were all on stage, so there were [fewer] seats available, but this year we opened it up to the full house, so we’re not sure how many people will be there, but hopefully there’ll be quite a few,” Jahangir said.

After the final performance of this show, advanced acting’s work is still far from over, as they prepare for their second play, The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, which will premiere later this month. Look for more details coming soon on the marquee outside of the auditorium as well as on The Bark’s website.