Advanced acting bids farewell to Mr. Ellington with performances of ‘Marigolds’

Maggie Kimber, Entertainment Editor

“The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds”: the title itself is a mouthful. Similar to its tongue-twisting name, preparing for advanced acting’s second play of the semester has been a lengthy – sometimes, exhausting – process.

This process will draw to an end this weekend, however, as the class debuts its four showings of the Pulitzer Prize winning tale regarding a dysfunctional family of women living in the 1960s. Opening night is Friday at 7:30 and will be followed by two shows on Saturday at 2:30 and 7:30 and one at 2:30 on Sunday. Admission will be $8 at the door.

Unlike the semester’s previous play, Dirty Work at the Crossroads, the audience will view the show from stage. Director and theater teacher Mr. Glen Ellington said this will allow for a more intimate theater experience suitable for the more somber content of the play.

“It’s about the tension surrounding how all of the family is looking for love, but no one knows how to give it or receive it,” Ellington said. “The mother’s past influences everything, and the daughter’s science fair projects and the effect of radiation on marigolds is a metaphor for that.

“It’s very depressing.”

Delaney Sears plays the role of Ruth, the older sister of Tilly – the show’s main character. As a member of the casts of both shows, Sears said the process has been interesting as well as rewarding.

“It has been much harder than I thought it to be,” Sears said. “Tech weeks are always hard, but having two in one month has taken more of a toll on me that I expected.

“I’ve also learned twice as much.”

With this being his last show before retirement, Mr. Ellington said that his perspective this semester changed.

“I just decided I was going to have a good time with what we were doing,” he said. “This year we have had a lot more fun in the process.”