Homecoming aims to capture feel of a ‘Southern Night’

Julia Adams, Staff Writer

Plaid table cloths, burlap, string lights: No, this is not a list of things found on a neighbor’s back porch, but many of the items that will be found at Bearden’s Homecoming this year.

The theme is “Southern Nights,” aiming to recreate the atmosphere of a southern fall evening.

Homecoming is taking place from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. in the West Mall, and this year attendees will experience a 30-minute extension to the dance. This makes it possible for students to come after the football game against Bradley Central.

“When you think of the summer, you envision a fun time,” Homecoming committee co-chair and sophomore Anna Duffey said.

New traditions are taking place this year. Unlike previous years, Homecoming will be a semi-formal event meaning less extravagant clothing and a more laid back vibe.

Homecoming will include a photo booth, refreshments, mason jar décor, and lights to complete the “Southern Nights” theme. Dancing will be in the West Mall, complete with a DJ, and food will be provided in the cafeteria. This year, new treats will be served so students can be refreshed throughout the dance.

“There will be cookies, cupcakes, pigs in a blanket, and macaroni cups,” Duffey said.

Student involvement is expected to be bigger this year which is no surprise considering the popular theme.

“We have sold more tickets compared to the past,” SGA sponsor and assistant principal Mrs. Rachel Harmon said. “More people are dressed up for spirit week. Everything just seems to be bigger this year with Homecoming.”