Princess Project provides salon services for prom preparation free of charge

Alec Apostoaei, Staff Writer

The end of the school year is full of rich, well-known traditions. Amongst finals, luncheons, baccalaureates, and graduations, one event stands out above the rest to students: prom.

This dance is one of the penultimate activities that students participate in, but the price of prom can restrict some students from attending. The thriftiest of students still find their wallets feeling much lighter after prom is over.

“Shoes, makeup, hair, dress, jewelry all tied into the cost I had to pay for this year’s prom,” senior Natalie Baine said.

Certain students cannot afford all the amenities that prom requires. In order to combat this, a local salon owner has opened up her doors to support these students.

Lindsay Maples, owner of Hair Designers and Nail Salon, started a program named The Princess Project to provide altered prom dresses, jewelry, hair, makeup and nail services all free of charge. Maples, with the help of Black Oak Heights Baptist Church, offered dresses at an event in April, but students can still make reservations with Maples at the salon for the other services.

BHS assistant principal Mrs. Anna Graham was one of the leading contacts that brought this project to Bearden. According to Mrs. Graham, the project aims to “make sure every girl who needs a prom dress in Knox County has the opportunity to get one for free.”

For the past four years, Maples has been providing this service to students privately, but this year has expanded to service Knox County Schools.

“I, myself, was not in a good financial situation when I was a senior at Powell High,” Maples said. “Someone helped me by providing a dress, makeup, and hair, and I was more than grateful to have someone help us.”

Maples promised to help someone the way she was helped. Along with her goal to provide each students with a memorable prom experience, Maples hopes that the project has a deeper meaning to the girls it services.

“Some of the girls have asked what do they do with their dresses when prom is over and my reply is pay it forward,” Maples said. “This is to encourage teens to help others like they were helped.”