SGA hopes for increase in Fall Festival attendance to account for cancelled Spirit Night

Tori Sokolow

SGA is hoping its annual Fall Festival and the accompanying Trunk or Treat will help recoup some of the losses from cancelled Spirit Night.

Aurora Silavong, Staff Writer

In previous years, Spirit Night has been an evening of fun and feasting as students gathered to watch powder-puff football and raise money for Second Harvest Food Bank. Unfortunately, this long-standing Bearden tradition did not happen last week in the buildup to Bearden’s Homecoming.

Although many clubs expressed interest in setting up booths to sell refreshments, there was a lack of participation for powder-puff. In the end, only four students submitted the necessary forms and monetary donation to play. Because of this setback, SGA decided not to go ahead with the event.

“This is supposed to serve the student body,” SGA sponsor Mrs. Rebecca Nutter said. “If they’re not interested, there’s no reason for us to do an event like [Spirit Night].”

The primary motivation for this event has always been to raise money for the food bank. Due to the cancellation of it, the torch has been passed to the upcoming Fall Festival. SGA has been working tirelessly to expand the event, including inviting surrounding elementary schools to join in on the festivities in order to promote its family-friendly atmosphere.

“Hopefully, [Fall Festival] will continue to grow, and that should cover what we would have fund-raised at Spirit Night,” said senior Natalie Parks, who co-planned Spirit Night in conjunction with junior Jordan Strauss.

The third edition of Bearden’s Fall Festival will occur Oct. 17. All student groups are invited to decorate their vehicles for the popular “Trunk or Treat” and pass out candy, and clubs are once again invited to set up booths. Restrictions on charging to play games and purchase food at the booths have been lifted, allowing clubs to fundraise for themselves in addition to raising money for Second Harvest. Additionally, local area food trucks will be encouraged to set up shop at the event.

SGA also hopes for another fundraising opportunity later in the year. They are discussing options for an event in conjunction with basketball Spirit Week and potentially a Big Ball Soccer event sometime in the spring.