SGA prioritizes easier dress up themes, plans pep rally idea for Spirit Week

Bearden’s student section dressed up for neon night at an away football game last year, and it will be the theme for Homecoming this year.

Abby Kelley, Staff Writer

Bearden SGA has long held a tradition of delivering a fun spirit week prior to homecoming for the students, and this year will be no different.

Bearden will continue the tradition of dress-up days during the week leading up to the homecoming game. Here is the current plan for each day: Monday is America day, Tuesday is Hawaiian day, Wednesday is jersey day, Thursday is class colors day, and Friday is neon day.

“We want greater student participation this year in order to build more school spirit and promote the game and dance on Friday,” SGA president Hayden Harb said. “We are hoping easier spirit day themes will enable more people to dress up each day.”

Like in the past, SGA is also exploring options regarding rewards for dressing up, and they are brainstorming a point system in which they will reward the grade with the most participation in dressing up throughout the week.

In addition to dressing up, and in lieu of last year’s absence of a spirit night, SGA is planning a pep rally in hopes of raising even more school spirit. During advisory on Sept. 13, SGA will host an all school pep rally at the football field.

“[We chose] Thursday because we want to draw out the hype rather than focus it all on one day,” Harb said. “In addition, it is our class colors day, so for competitions you will be able to distinguish between classes by shirt color.”

At the pep rally, students can compete by grade level in events such as relay races and tug of war to win prizes.

The colors for class color day and the pep rally are organized by grade. Freshman wear white, sophomores wear gray, juniors wear black, and seniors wear maroon.

Check The Bark next week for information about the homecoming court and dance.