Band, orchestra to collaborate in unique mattress fundraiser

Aurora Silavong, News Editor

Forget about cookie dough and chocolate bars – mattresses are the new fundraiser trend sweeping through the halls of Bearden High School.

The event will be hosted at Bearden on Sept. 22 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. A showroom will be set up in the cafeteria featuring various types of mattresses and pillows, including luxury brands and adjustable beds. A portion of the profits will go to benefit the band and orchestra programs.

This is the first time Bearden has seen such a unique fundraiser. Although it is a departure from other common forms of fundraising, it has proven to be successful throughout the country. Halls High School is a school in Knox County who has done a similar fundraiser, and they were highly successful in their venture.

The money raised will greatly help the band and orchestra. Although Knox County grants both programs $700 each, that sum is quickly consumed. Access to sheet music can run between $100 to $250 for each piece of music, and maintenance for instruments is notoriously costly. Additionally, the orchestra is participating in the 2018-2019 Mark Wood’s Electrify Your Strings tour, and the cost of that program has run upwards of $3,000.

This is not the only fundraising opportunity for the band and orchestra this school year. In the coming months, expect to hear about donation drives, T-shirt and other item sales, and car washes. Currently, coupon books are also on sale, and the programs keep $7 from each book sold.

“Raising money for funding isn’t our only goal,” said Mrs. Cynthia Wright, who is the director of the Bearden Orchestra. “We hope that it promotes unity between our two organizations, as well as the Bearden community.”