Bearden Foundation recruiting adult volunteers for annual phone-a-thon

Maggie Price, Editor-in-chief

The Bearden High School Foundation orchestrates an annual phone-a-thon in order to raise money for supplies needed at the school. Following the previous success, they are once again putting on this fundraiser for the 2018-19 school year.

The Foundation is a non-profit organization and exists in order to provide educational and life-enhancing materials that are not covered by the Knox County Schools’ budget.

The phone-a-thon is crucial to the Foundation because it is the biggest school-wide fundraiser where all of the money goes directly back to Bearden.

Also, every class, club, team, or teacher has the opportunity to win a cash prize, based on the number of adult volunteers recruited to work at the phone-a-thon. There are four levels: first place receives $1,000, second place receives $500, third place receives $250, and the prize for greatest percentage of participation receives $750. The participation award allows smaller clubs to win a cash prize as well.

The group with the most adult volunteer callers will win the top prize.

In order to efficiently run the phone-a-thon, there must be a multitude of parent and student volunteers. The volunteers help to make the calls to every single Bearden family and ask them to donate to the Foundation.

“You’ve probably heard the expression, ‘Many hands make light work,’” Foundation board member Mrs. Mallory Lehn said. “That’s the spirit here.”

Parents are responsible for making the calls, while students help with stuffing the envelopes and sorting the mail.

Taking into account people’s busy schedules, the phone-a-thon occurs after work and school, and dinner will be provided from Texas Roadhouse on Monday and Soccer Taco on Tuesday. They also take into consideration students’ busy schedules with sports and homework, so if they are unable to volunteer, their parents can.

The Foundation will give away door prizes such as gift cards, and student volunteers will receive community service hours for working the event.

To support the Foundation, you can volunteer or make a donation on their website  bhsfoundation.org. Parents received a letter about the phone-a-thon last week, and families may mail in donations through the return envelope that was included with the letter.

The phone-a-thon will take place on Oct. 1 and 2 from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Below is the link to sign up to volunteer.

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0948aca922a3f85-phoneathon1