‘Anything Goes’ cast and crew preparing for shows Nov. 8, 10, and 11

Senior Mallory McKinney plays nightclub singer Reno Sweeney in Bearden’s production of Anything Goes.

Abby Kelley, Staff Writer

Anything Goes at Bearden High School on Nov. 8, 10, and 11 as the theatre program opens with Cole Porter’s classic musical.

Year after year, Bearden’s musical theatre wows their audience with a spectacular performance that never fails to entertain, and this year will be no different.

This year’s show Anything Goes is a comedy set in the 1930s aboard the ocean liner S.S. American en route from New York to England. The story concerns the wild twists and turns that follow a love story as nightclub singer Reno Sweeney (senior Mallory McKinney) and her friend “Moonface” Martin (junior Ben Barber) help out Billy Crocker (senior Connor Cowart).

Crocker is hoping to win his love Hope Harcourt (senior Aly Powers) back from her fiancé Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (senior Seth Reynolds).

This show is similar to last year’s production, Oklahoma!, in that it is a fun, energetic performance that kids and adults alike will enjoy. In addition, Anything Goes offers a wide variety of tap, jazz, and waltz numbers choreographed by Bearden students.

“As soon as we found out what show we were going to be performing, many of us decided to take private tap lessons all summer to prepare for it,” McKinney said. “Also, our incredible choreographers, [sophomores] Amilian [Clemes] and Natalie [Duncan], have been working extremely hard to make these dances amazing and powerful, and everyone has done a beautiful job of working to perfect the steps.”

“I am so excited because this is my first time playing a lead role in any show, and Reno Sweeney is such a challenging role to play,” she added. “I adore everything about [Reno], but my favorite thing about portraying her is getting to transform into a person who is very different from myself. Reno is a confident, clever, flirty showgirl who is very comfortable with herself. I have had the time of my life figuring out the character.”

Both reserved and general admission tickets are available online at www.beardentheatre.com, and only general admission tickets are sold at the door before each show.