Knoxville offers variety of fall, Halloween activities – both spooky and not

Maggie Price

A group of Bearden students enjoys the activities at Oakes Farm.

Aurora Silavong, News Editor

It may seem like nothing ever happens in Knoxville, but with the arrival of fall, activities and other diversions are popping up all over. From festivals to seasonal attractions, there is much to do around town this year.

The arrival of October means one thing: Halloween. There are a wide range of entertainment options catering to all age groups.

For the lion-hearted, haunted houses and corn mazes serve up plenty of spooks and scares. The more popular ones include Dead Man’s Farm, Frightmare Manor, and FrightWorks. Outside of these “haunted” attractions, local organizations offer real-life ghost tours. HearthScare Tours does a two-mile journey visiting Knoxville’s “scariest landmarks” including James White’s Fort, and the Bijou Theatre also offers tours of its supposedly haunted facilities.

For the less brave, never fear, there are plenty of things to do. “BOO! at the Zoo” is a Knoxville tradition, but for those wanting to break away from that tradition, there is Market Square’s Knoxville Zombie Walk, a dress-up, flash-mob event. The event is free, but they are accepting donations to benefit the Love Kitchen.

There are also non-haunted corn mazes, such as Oakes Farm and Maple Lane Farms. These farms also offer enjoyable activities for people of all ages and delicious fair food.

Not every fall activity is about Halloween. Market Square is home to a weekly farmers’ market that runs until Nov. 17. Arab Fest runs from October 26 to October 27 and showcases the diversity of Knoxville’s Middle Eastern community. Local bands put on concerts in venues dotted around town, so be on the lookout for those.

Whatever tastes exist, there is sure to be an event in Knoxville to cater to it. It won’t be long before the winter holiday season begins, bringing icy weather and more fun, so be sure to take advantage of these fall festivities before they’re gone.

For more information about local events, go to visitknoxville.com.