SGA to host basketball tailgate Friday before Bearden plays Hardin Valley

Abby Ann Ramsey, Entertainment Editor

SGA annually does one tailgate during football season, but decided this year to revive the practice in support of Bearden’s basketball programs too.

The tailgate will take place on the patio outside the cafeteria from 4:30 to 6 p.m. on Friday before the Lady Bulldogs tip off against HVA at 6. SGA has done basketball tailgates before, but it has been a few years since the previous one.

“We are hoping to have a bigger turnout and more hype surrounding the game,” said Hiba Jahangir, who is SGA’s tailgate committee chair.

One of the main issues when planning a tailgate is that students want to go to both the girls and boys games and like to save their seats early. SGA’s new tailgate plan should address this issue, so students feel like they have enough time to attend.

“I do believe that this tailgate will be more effective because we have enough time between the game and the tailgate,” Jahangir said. “We do not want to take traffic away from the game, and students won’t have to worry about losing their seats in the student section.”

This year’s SGA has also been more focused on supporting and appreciating the student body. The event will showcase their appreciation with free pizza provided by principal Mr. Jason Myers and other foods provided by SGA members.

“The tailgate committee was hoping to encourage school spirit while also showing our student body that we appreciate them,” Jahangir said.

Games like cornhole, spike ball, and simple table games, such as playing cards will be available at no charge. Also, the tailgate marks the end of the can drive, so it will be a celebration for all the food Bearden students donated to Second Harvest.

The theme for the tailgate is “flannel” to match the game, so students are encouraged to wear flannel shirts, pants, and scarves.  

“We’re just hoping for a chill environment where people can enjoy themselves,” Jahangir said.