• March 29Congratulations to the Bearden Boys Basketball Team for bringing home a state championship

• March 29The talent show will be Friday 3/29 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium

• March 29Follow us on Twitter @BeardenHSnow and on Instagram @beardenhsnow

Bearden’s American Sign Language program offers unique world language credits to students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Mikayil Birdal laughs as ASL teacher Ms. Karen Latus cracks a joke during class.

Julia Bryant

Julia Bryant

Julia Bryant

Lydia Battey, Staff Writer

Bearden introduced American Sign Language as a new foreign language class at the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.

The class is currently taught by Bearden Spanish teacher Ms. Karen Latus.

The class was initiated when the Tennessee General Assembly passed legislation in 2017 which recognized American Sign Language as a world language. The legislation allows students to earn credits that fulfill their world language requirements for graduation.

Ms. Latus is already established at Bearden as a Spanish teacher, but many of her students do not know she majored in Sign Language Studies at the University of Michigan. Ms. Latus has an extensive background working in disability services at her alma mater captioning and platform interpreting. She has even taught a deaf student Spanish using ASL.

Ms. Latus is using her unique background and her love of teaching to troubleshoot some of the issues she has faced with the class.

“In ASL, you have to be able to see everybody,”  said Ms. Latus, who taught sections of ASL 1 in the fall and is now teaching ASL 2 this semester.

“We had to struggle through figuring out class sizes, and we don’t have any resources.”

Ms. Latus appreciates the hard work, and she tries her best to create the best possible learning environment for her students. Recently, Ms. Latus has done this with the assistance of Dr. Philip Zazove, the third deaf doctor in the world and the head of medicine at the University of Michigan.

Ms. Latus knew of Dr. Zazove since her work in disability services and reached out to him to see if he would be interested in letting her students interview him over Skype. Dr. Zazove agreed, and the interview is set to happen during ASL 2’s health and medicine module in April.

“This is an experience that not every ASL student gets to have in this country,” said senior Camilla Fielder, who is taking ASL 2. “It’s like we’re one in a million; it’s going to be super awesome to get to talk to him.”

Ms. Latus is currently teaching ASL 1 and 2, and the classes will be available for students to enroll in for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year.

• Bearden’s American Sign Language program offers unique world language credits to students

News

Bearden vocalists to share their talent at annual Coffee House event

News

BBN News 4.18.19

News

BBN News 4.12.19

News

Bearden to host sports medicine workshop for students in June

News

Senior Committee now taking applications for students to represent the Class of 2020

News

BBN News 4.5.19

News

Applications for Susan G. Hinton service scholarship available to seniors

News

K Brew opens new branch in West Knoxville across from West Town Mall

News

Senior Ahmadi wins talent show with Spanish guitar medley

News

BBN News 3.29.19