Virtual Enterprise caps successful year with top 10 finishes in New York

Lydia Battey, Staff Writer

Bearden’s Virtual Enterprise class traveled to New York City earlier this month to participate in the 2019 National Youth Business Summit.

The business that Virtual Enterprise class created this year is Global Warming, a clothing retailer that primarily sells socks and hats.

The Summit was comprised of multiple competitions regarding each aspect of an actual business. Global Warming took part in the National Business Plan Competition, Finance Competition, Marketing Competition, and the Human Resources Competition.

Students had to create a business model at the beginning of this year, along with creating a PowerPoint presentation and a corresponding script that they would present in front of a panel of judges.

“We also had to know every aspect of our company inside and out in order to be fully prepared for questions regarding our presentation,” Global Warming’s Executive Administrator Tori Patton said.

The Summit itself was split into two days; the first day focused on each team’s presentation. The second day was the trade show where all competing Virtual Enterprise firms set up a booth where they try to attract customers to come buy their virtual product.

Those participating in the team presentations were ready to go at 8:30 a.m. on April 15 to go through multiple rounds of presenting.

“It was a long day of waiting to present,” Global Warming’s Design Vice President Zachary Hull said. “The first two rounds were the ones where the judges decided if we got in the finals, which we did.

“Then we had to present in front of 16 judges from HSBC Bank.”

Global Warming placed in the top 10 for the Human Resources Competition and the National Business Plan Competition. Global Warming’s Business Plan Team placed eighth.

On April 17, Global Warming students set up their trade show booth that was organized by their Design Team. Students are assigned different roles to help run the booth, while others are tasked with buying products from other Virtual Enterprise firms.

“When making the booth, we wanted to create a very homey and welcoming area,” Hull said.

Along with their long days of hard work, Virtual Enterprise students also had some days of fun while in New York. Students were able to explore the city, and they visited places such as SoHo, The Met, and Times Square.

“I think this trip really boosted my confidence in presenting and public speaking,” Patton said. “I also learned that being outgoing and extroverted is a really important skill in the business world.”