New student section leaders hoping to up the energy level, bring back old traditions

Olivia Hailey

The 2019-20 student section leaders are trying to help Bearden up its school spirit game this year.

Lily Price, Staff Writer

With school beginning and summer ending, highly-anticipated Bearden athletics are also starting back up. With football rapidly approaching, the three new student section leaders are preparing to lead the student body at sporting events.

Harrison Moseley, Cole Poynter, and Taylor Waak, the previous year’s leaders, passed on the iconic maroon vest to senior Josh Stubblefield with Evan Vaughn and Nick Doty rounding out the group of leaders for the 2019-2020 school year.

While the new leaders plan to uphold many traditions, they are hoping to put their own twist on old ideas.

“One thing from the past we’re bringing back is wearing jorts on game days,” Stubblefield said.

The leaders are also considering bringing back pre-game tailgates, which had been a longstanding Bearden tradition up until a few years ago.

This year’s leaders also plan to keep the main aspects of the previous student sections. They plan to continue using large speakers during games and throwing baby powder into the air.

Stubblefield, Vaughn, and Doty are planning to bring the student section to previous years’ standards, but make it louder and crazier.

“We’re going to change the culture,” Vaughn said. “We’re going to make it the most hype student section of all time because it hasn’t been very good in the past.

“We’re going to change that, and it’s going to be crazy.”

The three leaders are hoping to get a large number of students to come to all of the games, in order to both promote community and to help support Bearden’s teams.

“I think it’s important because it brings all the students together to get out there for your friends and really just makes a good community,” Stubblefield said. “It’s also important because it can make an impact on the game. If it’s a loud environment, it might mess up the other team.”

Bearden’s student section has long been known to be one of the best student sections in not only the county but also the state.

It’s important because it brings energy to the games that wouldn’t be there otherwise, and then it makes a fun atmosphere,” Doty said.

Added Vaughn: “It brings everyone together, and we all get super hype together, and it’s just a great time to be with everyone.”

The first football game of the season is on Saturday at West, with the theme being white out.

“I’m looking forward to getting everyone out to the game, bringing a ton of energy to the games, and supporting my friends,” Stubblefield said.