SGA hoping to bring extra school spirit to campus with holiday-themed Spirit Week

Lily Price, Staff Writer

Bearden’s SGA is hoping to encourage school spirit among the students by hosting a holiday-themed Spirit Week next week.

Pajama day, holiday colors, winter wonderland, holiday characters, and ugly sweater day are the chosen themes for Monday to Friday, respectively.

“Dressing up is a great way to show your Bearden pride and also get excited about the upcoming rivalry game and winter break,” senior SGA member and head of the School Spirit committee Samaya Baljepally said. 

Next week, the Bearden basketball teams host Maryville on Tuesday and rival Farragut on Friday, so Spirit Week is used to encourage support for Bearden athletics and the school overall.

SGA is also hoping to give students a reprieve from the intensity of finals approaching at the end of the semester.

“It gives us something to think of other than just exams during this stressful time in the semester,” senior SGA member and School Spirit committee member Kyra Cole said.

With state and school testing spread out over the last several weeks of school before winter break, Spirit Week is a fun atmosphere that SGA hopes will help relieve students’ stress. Along with stress relief and supporting the basketball teams, SGA is also hoping to promote unity throughout the Bearden community.

“It makes me feel connected with my classmates, teachers, and even people I don’t know,” Baljepally said.

Added Cole: “When you look around and see everyone participating, it gives a sense of community and sameness through the school.”