Student Government rallies support for Second Harvest food drive, which ends Friday

Lily Price

Many of Bearden’s cans collected for Second Harvest are on display in The Pit.

Lauren Holman, Staff Writer

Members of the Bearden community still have one more day to donate to the annual Second Harvest food drive.

Second Harvest is a food bank that provides meals to families who need it in East Tennessee. In the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, the assistance of the food bank is in high demand. This food drive will ensure that Second Harvest has the resources to adequately support people in need, specifically for Thanksgiving.

“Especially right now, a lot of families are struggling with the impact of the pandemic, and for many this means facing food insecurity for the first time,” student body president Ellie Raulston said. “This food drive is really important so that we can support the people that need it.”

Bearden has historically competed against Farragut in the food drive, but that contest ended several years ago. Farragut is back in the contest again this year, but their donations will go to the Love Kitchen.

Students can donate to Second Harvest by bringing in non-perishable foods or money. The most needed items include canned meat, boxed stuffing, canned vegetables, instant mashed potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, canned pumpkin, rice, canned yams, and canned beans.

“Another thing many BHS students may not realize is that Second Harvest serves families within our own school,” SGA Sponsor Mrs. Rebecca Nutter said. “In donating to Second Harvest, you are providing meals to your peers.”

The Student Government has also made this food drive into a competition between third block classes. The class that wins will receive a fully catered Chick-Fil-A lunch, and the second place class wins Chick-Fil-A cookies. 

A competition against Farragut and between third block classes is an effective way to motivate students to support Second Harvest and beat Farragut in the process.

“A successful Second Harvest food drive says a lot about Bearden and who we are as a school,” Mrs. Nutter said. “We are a school that cares for our community and will work hard to take care of each other.

“Also, it’s always important to beat Farragut.”