NAHS continues pumpkin painting tradition with new display methods

Bearden’s NAHS members work on painting pumpkins to display around campus.

Olivia Knowling, Staff Writer

Bearden’s National Art Honor Society has a tradition of painting pumpkins in the fall semester, and – like many Bearden organizations – club members were not going to allow Covid-19 to prevent them from safely participating again this year.

The group typically displays these pumpkins at the school’s annual Fall Festival. However, this event was canceled this year due to Covid-19 regulations, but NAHS decided to carry on this artistic tradition.

NAHS is using the pumpkins as an opportunity to gain more exposure and raise awareness for their club.

“We are a smaller club, so we hope that more people who are interested in art and community service might be interested in joining us,” co-president senior Grace Russell said. 

Though this has not been a conventional year for NAHS, the officers chose to make the most of their situation and brainstorm new ideas. 

“As a sponsor, I met with our officers on a weekly basis to discuss with them ideas and where they felt they could still contribute amidst so many cancellations,” NAHS sponsor Mrs. Melinda Sims said. “We have decided to focus a little more on smaller projects and semester or year long fundraisers that we could repeat yearly.”

NAHS is displaying their pumpkins all throughout the school this year in high foot-traffic areas such as the courtyard, and most major entrances/exits. These pumpkins will be on display for a longer span of time in hopes to maximize student exposure.  

The club hopes that the continuation of this tradition will aid in bringing a sense of positivity and normalcy to the Bearden community.

“We are hoping that keeping this element of the Fall Festival will keep students’ spirits up,” NAHS co-president senior Rebecca Robinson said. “The objective is to, at the very least, put a smile on some of our students’ faces during the fall season.”