Bearden’s new graphic design class offers students first look at possible future career

In an effort to assist future artists, fine arts teacher Ms. Paula Goepfert has introduced a new graphic design class. Bearden artists, especially those preparing for a degree in graphic design, no longer have to wait for college courses to learn more. 

Students who are interested in pursuing a career in graphic design or even students who want to broaden their horizons in the art world are encouraged to try the course. Students should also keep in mind that they need to start with Visual Art 1 in order to take this course.  

Certain graphic design aspects are touched on in Visual Art 1, but through this course, students can get a more in-depth and focused look on several aspects of graphic design, printmaking, and advertising. 

“We’re going to be learning about color theory and how businesses use colors to influence buyers,” sophomore Lilith Voyles said. “And about how graphic design works in general.” 

Voyles just started the class and she and her classmates are currently working on realism copies made in three different mediums: gouache, watercolor, and pencil. Students have also finished different self portrait prints in oil pastels. 

For Voyles, the best part of the class is the print making, and she looks forward to making prints of personal artwork, as she prefers pencil and paper over other mediums. 

Ms. Goepfert explains that this class has more of an emphasis on what she calls “old school” techniques like woodcut, linocut, and lithography to make multiple prints even without the use of modern technology. 

“This class will give students the opportunity to fully appreciate the advancements made in the world of graphic design and will be an excellent precursor for any computer art and design course,” Ms. Goepfert said.

Students will also delve into the history of graphic design and what advancements have been made in the past to bring graphic design to where it is today. Students will be expected to maintain a sketchbook and will be graded on the effort put forth through each project. 

As a supportive community of artists, students will regularly share their work with classmates and offer constructive feedback to their peers. 

Ms. Goepfert’s history in studying graphic design goes back to a unique course offered at her high school called Commercial Art, Advertising, and Design.  

Juniors and seniors were selected to attend alongside adult students. It was a yearlong course that met for three solid hours every school day.  

“I loved it, and I’m hoping to pass on my love for graphic arts to my students when they take this class,” Ms. Goepfert said.