SGA’s Fall Festival returns on Tuesday after one-year hiatus to raise money for Second Harvest

Olivia Hailey

Bearden’s Fall Festival last occurred in 2019. It will make its return to campus Tuesday.

Bearden’s 6th annual Fall Festival is back after taking a gap year due to COVID-19.

Bearden’s SGA, determined to not let the gap year become a new normal, has been working diligently to ensure that this will be a fun event for students and families from the Bearden community and surrounding areas.

The event runs from 5 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Admission is $5 with a $20 cap per family.

SGA has used the unprecedented gap year as motivation to spread the word to the Bearden community, as many of them have never had the opportunity to experience a Bearden Fall Festival.

“Taking a gap year has helped us be much more conscious of any time issues we may have had with marketing in years past,” SGA member Kate Bosi said. “We have focused a lot on making sure that we get all of our information out to the elementary schools in the area so that they can come and enjoy our event as well.”

At the event, students should look forward to trunk or treating, food trucks, music, game booths, and face painting. 

“We will have a bunch of game booths including fun activities like pumpkin bowling, goofy debates, and face painting,” SGA president Campbell Ella said. “The infamous haunted house booth will also be back.”

Bearden students and organizations have the opportunity to get involved behind the scenes. They can sign up for a trunk to participate in “trunk or treat.” Those who sign up will park in the staff lot after school in an assigned spot, and they will be responsible for decorating their trunk in a theme of their choice. 

Trunks often have mini games for the kids who attend the event to enjoy. When the event kicks off, those running the trunks will give candy out to kids as they stop by, just like trick or treat.

Students can register to run a trunk by scanning the QR code at the Fall Festival table in the West Mall. 

“Our trunks are my favorite part of this event,” said Bosi. “Students get the chance to decorate the trunk of their car in any theme they see fit and give candy out to the kids that come to trunk or treat.”

All proceeds will be donated to the Second Harvest Food Bank to provide meals to local families in need. 

“All funds go to our local food bank Second Harvest,” Ella said. “These funds will help to provide Knoxville families with meals.

“Last [Fall Festival] with $2400 we provided 7200 meals.”

There will not be any COVID-19 restrictions at the event unless guests want to enter the school building.

“The festival is a wonderful opportunity to have a great night and support a good cause,” Bosi said. “It will be fun for all ages, and we encourage you to bring your whole family. 

“We can’t wait for this event.”