Sold-out Winter Formal returns to pre-pandemic normalcy

Meghan Oros

Bearden students were happy with the return of Winter Formal last year, and they’re looking forward to more of a return to normalcy this year.

Bearden’s Winter Formal dances have undergone significant changes in the past four years. 

This will be the seniors’ second year with a “normal” dance. Bearden did not have a Winter Formal in 2021 due to the pandemic, and the 2022 edition took place during the Knox County Schools mask mandate.

Next month’s dance will have no Covid-related restrictions. It starts at 7 p.m. on Feb. 4.

The theme for this year is “Northern Lights,” envisioned by Elizabeth Cathey, head of the Winter Formal committee. 

Key Club co-sponsor Mrs. Amy Davis expressed her excitement about this year’s theme “which includes lots of dark purples, oranges and pinks instead of the basic blues and whites.”

Tickets for the dance sold out quickly, largely due to the popularity of the event, but also because Bridgewater Place, which has previously hosted Bearden winter formal, has lowered its capacity from 500 to 400 as the upstairs area is now closed.

“With respect to masks, I am looking forward to not dealing with that anymore,” Mrs. Davis said. “It will be easier for students to enjoy themselves without masks.”

Added senior Ashley McDaniel: “Freshman year was the best because of the normalcy, but 2023 will be bittersweet because it is my last WiFo as a high school student.”