Coffee House performances showcase many of Bearden’s talented musicians

Lydia Cruze

Senior Anderson Puckett performs at last week’s Coffee House in the library.

Many of Bearden’s talented musical artists got the opportunity to perform at the annual Coffee House show in the library this past Friday.

Students have been planning for this performance since the beginning of the spring semester. They served coffee, hot chocolate, and sweet treats. 

In previous years, the event has been altered to work with Covid-19 distancing procedures. Last year was the first year that the Coffee House was hosted in the library. 

“This year was our second year of organizing Coffee House in its current form, and we seem to have finally gotten the hang of it,” Bearden choir director Mr. Steven Brown said. “This year was different because the event was smoother than in years past.”

Coffee House is student-led, which gives students an opportunity to organize and plan the event. Students set up the stage, chairs, and turn the library into a comfortable entertainment area.

“The sense of accomplishment by all students involved is what makes the event special,” Mr. Brown said. 

Sophomore Eli Solomon volunteered to be a host for the show with sophomore Keith McInnis. Solomon performed at Coffee House in the choir as a freshman.

“My biggest goal for this year’s Coffee House was to make an enjoyable atmosphere and experience for the audience, especially from a host perspective,” Solomon said.

He worked together with McInnis to create cohesive jokes and provide an entertaining introduction to each song. 

In order to advertise the event, students post flyers around the school and on social media. 

Senior Ranya Joshi, who performed in the two previous shows as an a capella member, was able to enjoy this year’s show as an audience member.

“This was the first year that I just wanted to go to support my friends and see how the chorus program has developed since then,” Joshi said.

Donations from local businesses and money raised from tickets will go toward the choir trip to New York in March where the Bearden Singers will sing in Carnegie Hall.