Seniors make recommendations for underclassmen preparing for their first prom experience

Bearden seniors have some advice for where to eat, how to get the best pictures, and where to find the right dress or tux before this year’s prom.

Prom mania has come to Bearden High School – the time to decide where to take pictures, eat, and buy attire.

The Bark consulted with current seniors to share the tips and tricks they learned last year. Knoxville has many great restaurant options, or students can get creative and do something else.

For downtown options, seniors suggested The Oliver, Emilia, Tupelo Honey, or Cafe 4, which are all located on Market Square. Students wanting to eat on Gay Street could try Babalu or Chivo.

“Maple Hall would be so fun if you were interested in some pre-prom bowling, as well as food,” senior Owen Matthews said.

Being near the venue would be a great idea as well, and the Old City has plenty of possibilities, including the Melting Pot, Kaizen, A Dopo, and Kefe.

For students who want to start off closer to Bearden, West Knoxville has a variety of options (Point B, Lakeside Tavern, Bravo, Wasabi, Casa don Gallo, Soccer Taco, and Pelanchos), and many of them are more affordable.

“Another great plan to save money would be to have your group go to a parents house and have a big dinner, which could allow for a more relaxing time,” senior Alyssa Ella said.

Many students also debate where to take pictures. UT Gardens, Bleak House, Lakeshore Park, and Maple Grove are just a few possibilities, but students planning to go to Bleak House or Maple Grove need to call ahead for reservations.

For photographers, students could turn to recent Bearden alums, who may not have the same high prices as established professionals.

Options for finding dresses include Bella Boutique, Katie’s Kloset, Dillards, Lucy in the Sky, and Revolve.

“Another smart idea is if you’re out of town, stop by the mall there and see if you like anything because most of the dress styles vary based on where you are so less people are likely to have it,” Ella said.

Places to rent tuxes include Prestige, Men’s Wearhouse, and Belk.