BHS students pining over new social networking site

Katelyn Kleinhans

A new social networking site has captured the attention of Bearden students. Pinterest, launched in 2009, allows users to create virtual pin boards to display for friends and visitors. Participants can post images and texts to these boards relating to any number of topics, such as recipes, home décor, or photography. “It’s like a collection of pictures categorized into different groups of things like exercise, weddings, and places,” senior Samantha Schriver said. “You have your own board, and you put pictures on organized however you want.” While on Pinterest, users can search a target subject in order to find posts of interest to re-post or add content of their own. They may also “follow” the pin boards of others. Many students have become affiliated with Pinterest through Facebook, as users can invite friends to join. Freshman Lindsey Adorante recently used Pinterest for ideas to plan her birthday party. “I just think it’s cool to see all the pictures that are on there, and they give you ideas for all different things,” Adorante said. In August, Time Magazine published Pinterest in its 50 Best Websites of 2011 column where it ranked 38. “ I do weddings a lot because I’m kind of obsessed with them, and so I find color schemes that I like and I kind of put together ‘my little wedding,’” Schriver said. According to Pinterest, their goal is to “connect everyone in the world through the ‘things’ they find interesting.” Pinterest also has a free app for iPhones allowing users to pin wherever and whenever they choose. The website gets over a million new pins per week and is continuing to grow. Pinterest is accessible at www.pinterest.com to anyone at least 13 years of age.