Annual Skits to reveal senior superlative winners Tuesday

Rachel Riley

Bearden’s theatre classes will perform Annual Skits on Tuesday in order to unveil senior superlative results. The traditional event will take place in the auditorium at 7:30 p.m. In addition to twelve skits featuring individual superlatives, 10 senior boys and 10 senior girls will also be recognized with Bearden’s “Who’s Who” award. “Annual Skits is a fun way entertain the audience and then reveal who the superlative winners are,” freshman Theatre I student Lindsey Adorante said. An opening dance and sequence of narration are usually included in the production. Theatre II students Hannah Benefiel and Jasmine Brown will play the narrators, appearing between each skit. This year, Annual Skits narrators will appear as two students looking for costumes to wear to a party. They will try on various attire, from an athlete’s uniform to the outfit of a spirited Bearden fan, before deciding what they want to “Be” at the costume party. “Be” is the theme of this year’s Annual Skits, as well as the upcoming yearbook. Students in Theatre I and II are responsible for writing skits and providing their own props and costumes accordingly. Their performances on Tuesday Night serve as a major grade, so preparation is crucial. Classes began working on their skits within the first weeks of the school year. “It’s a good opportunity for the ninth graders to see what we do and how much it takes just to get five minutes to work,” Theatre I teacher Mr. Glen Ellington said. Annual Skits not only gives beginning actors and actresses time to shine, but also serves as the Drama department’s major fall fundraiser. “For some kids, it’s the only time they will be onstage, because they won’t go on in theatre,” Mr. Ellington said. “For other kids, some of the ninth graders will have leads in the musical in three years.” Tickets to the event will be sold in the West Mall during lunch Tuesday and at the door on Tuesday night for $6. The Bark will announce the winners of the senior superlatives on Wednesday.